What the hell am I supposed to post on social media as a decorating business?
Good question. Glad you asked.
Yes, one of the most difficult things about being a business on social media is coming up with ideas on what to post!
To help, I’ve put together 12 types of post you can use over and over again.
If you post 3 times a week you could repeat this list every month and your audience will never get bored with your content.
- Before and after pictures of a job. Right at the top of the list is the classic before and after pic. Honestly, these are so good, you could post one every day and people would not get bored of them. People love seeing a transformation. So, post these as much as you can.
- Selfie or team photo. Do it whilst working so people can get to know the real you. Make it authentic. If you have a larger team of people, then once a week you could even do a quick bio about each employee. Just a couple of key facts is all you need. For example, here is Big Chris, he’s been with us for 10 years, he specialises in hanging wallpaper and his favourite biscuit is dark chocolate digestives.
- Educational photo. Show your audience what goes into the perfect finish. If you have just finished prepping a wall that needed a huge amount of filler, show your audience what that looks like.
- Educational video. A short video of you spraying, masking up, removing fixings or using a dustless sander is a great way to educate your customer that painting and decorating is more than just buying a tin of paint and slapping it on the walls.
- Seasonal post. Don’t forget to wish your audience a happy new year / valentine’s day / Halloween / Christmas etc
- Answer people’s questions. Yes, commenting on other people’s posts and answering their questions also counts as great content
- Case studies. Writing a case study about a job is a great way to help potential customers see what working with you is like. Think of it as a more detailed version of a before and after photo. Case studies don’t need to be long. 1 page is fine. Just answer the following questions as you write it: Who/where is the customer? What problem did they have? How did you propose to solve it? Where there any issues along the way? How did you solve those? Was the customer happy with the final result? And include photos of the whole process. Simple.
- Humour post. Remember, people want to connect with people on social media. Don’t be afraid to show your sense of humour. Share a funny meme or photo related to the decorating industry.
- Company news. Have you taken on a new staff member? Added a new service to your portfolio? Or got a new qualification? Tell people about it on social media!
- Share an article or post. If you spot an article about colour trends for the new year, then share it with your audience. Who knows, it might inspire them to get some work done and give you a call.
- Competition / prize giveaway. Posts like this are a great way to get loads of attention and grow your audience. The giveaway doesn’t have to be big or expensive either. A paint brush, tin of paint or £10 amazon voucher is all it needs to be.
- Tips / tricks / life hacks. As a decorator you’ll have a whole host of tips and tricks you use on a daily basis. Why not share a couple of little ones with your audience.
Like this sort of stuff?
Check out my book ‘Sales and Marketing for decorators’ for more tips to help your business here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sales-Marketing-Decorators-Jon-Mears/dp/B08L78Y8MX/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1605205324&sr=8-1